Janet Ventre Public Art Commission
Torquay Town Centre Community Partnership secures funding for Public Art Commission
Following a successful funding bid, the Torquay Town Centre Community Partnership are delighted to have been able to commission local artist, Janet Ventre to produce a mosaic artwork celebrating the history of Lucius Street.
The work will be produced over 2 weeks at Artizan Gallery and will provide the opportunity to see Janet at work as it is being made. In addition, anyone can also have a go at making their own small mosaic piece, simply drop in any day between Noon and 3.30PM.
As part of the process Janet carried out extensive research before coming up with the final design which will depict the street, St Andrews Church and Lucius Cary. Lucius Street is part of the Saxon and Medieval settlement of Tormohun, and was named after Sir Lucius Cary (1612 to 1643), a dignitary from a famous local aristocratic family, who died fighting for King Charles I during the civil war. It was laid out in the mid -Victorian era as a purpose-built commercial street, intersecting with Belgrave Road, where people from the local village or Torre went with their pack-horses down to the beach. It also served the wealthy houses of the area, which were built for the aristocracy of London, who wintered in Torquay as it was warmer. It sits next to St Andrews Church, known as ‘The Mother Church’ of Torquay, which has a holy spring running through the grounds. Lucius Street was also the first street in Torquay to have street lights. Today Lucius Street is a shopping area situated half a km from Torquay town centre, surrounded by streets of small hotels and guesthouses.
When completed the work will be sited on the raised bed on the corner of Lucius Street to welcome visitors to the area.
In addition, Janet will be showing some of her other work that she produces from her studio at Cockington Court.
Open daily 10 am - 4 pm